Tuesday, October 21, 2008

teeth and gums

How Successful are Dental Implants?

Provided thorough criteria of case selection and clinical protocols are adhered to, dental implants can have a success rate of 97% or more. In some cases, such as in the anterior mandible, the success rate is close to 99%. Your periodontist will assess you and advise you if you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. To improve implant success, a CT scan is made of your jaw, generating a data file. This data allows a 3-Dimensional view of your bone; it’s true height, width, and most importantly, your actual jaw bone density exactly where each implant will be placed. Using sophisticated 3-D implant planning software, we plan the exact location of the implants. This enables us to do “virtual surgery” on the computer, vastly simplifying treatment planning, and reduces surgical time and discomfort.

Yesterday I went to a dentist for the first time in maybe twenty years. Actually, when I was pregnant for Sal, I had masshealth so I took the opportunity to go to a dentist. But I didn't follow up because I didn't have dental insurance. But that was just the one time since I graduated college in 1988. Well, during that time I brushed at least twice a day and for the last ten years, flossed a couple times a week. This wasn't enough for my good oral health because the dentist called me today to tell me that when he looked at my xrays he could tell that I have major bone loss. I also have some gross stuff called calculus hanging around my teeth. what a bummer. and there is one small cavity.

and I was so proud of my remaining four wisdom teeth.

No comments: